Video poker is a popular game of chance with widespread availability in North America and Europe. It became popular in the latter half of the 20th century and continues to be one of the most common games among casino patrons.
Video poker strategy is a complicated subject, even for those who have experience with other casino games. You see, the game has many features that are different from blackjack winning strategies or slots – from the rules to the payouts, and there are also strategies not used in other casino games.
If you want to learn video poker strategy and win bigger pots than usual, knowing how much you can expect to win and how much you should bet based on your hand and the cards, you’re dealt is important. You also need to know how much time you have to decide.
This article will show you everything there is to know about video poker strategy – from its history to the basics of video poker and progressive video poker. So, let’s get started!
Basic Rules of Video Poker
To be a master at any game, you must first understand the rules. Below are some rules that you should be aware of for you to learn how to be a pro gambler.
1. The Jokers Wild and Deuces Wild Rules
Deuces Wild turns all of the deck’s deuces into wild cards. Therefore, you can use any deuce card instead of any other card to assist you in putting together a winning hand. The joker cards can also be utilized similarly in Joker’s Wild. These variations’ rules are slightly different from the original video poker.
Payout scales are substantially lower because it’s simpler to put together a winning hand in these games. However, the hand rankings are the same as in classical poker.
The hand rankings are the same as in traditional table poker. You are also free to discard as many cards as you want.
2. The Jacks or Better Rules
The most well-known type of video poker is Jacks or Better. The rules of this game are a little different because you can only win if you have at least two Jacks in your hand. Other guidelines to remember when playing Jacks or Better include the following:
- To score in this table poker game, your hand must have at least a pair of jacks, one of the nine winning hands
- Players are paid according to a predetermined pay scale for specific winning hands. A royal flush wins the highest prize and pays out 250 times
- Only the player’s highest hand value is rewarded
- Pairs lower than jacks and five of a kind do not get a payout
3. Bonus, Double Bonus, and Double Double Bonus Poker Regulations
Bonus Poker, Double Bonus, and Double Double Bonus are popular game varieties loosely based on the fundamental rules of Jacks or Better. You can play these games at numerous online casinos and in some spin and win money casinos. The guidelines to be aware of include:
- In these games, more winning poker hands are permitted
- Different hands are rewarded differently with bonuses
- Overall, these variations have lower payoff percentages
- Bonus Poker pay tables reward strong hands with large payouts
Video Poker Strategies for Jack and Better
Some of the strategies you can use for Jack and Better include:
- Hold if you have three cards to a straight flush
- Hold if you receive a new pair value and draw three new cards
- Hold if your hand contains three to a royal flush
- Hold all four if your hand contains four to a straight or a flush
How to Win at Video Poker Strategy Chart
1. Know the Components of the Machine
If you want to be good at video poker strategy, you have to know the controls and which cards you need to pay attention to. There are a few things you should be aware of:
- The paytable: which can be seen on the poker screen, lists the values of each hand in a game of poker. As previously mentioned, you should pick a table with the best paytable—one with the largest payoff for a victory. From one coin played to a maximum of five coins played, each paytable will indicate how many coins you will receive for winning a hand.
- Display area: The display area, where you receive cards, is located beneath the paytable.
- Credit total: This is located beneath the card area and indicates how many credits you still have, based on the machine’s denomination.
- Cash insert/return slots: are located around the machine’s screen area, along with voucher and club card slots. When you’re done, your balance will be returned to you as a voucher from the machine. This position is upper left. Before you begin playing, place your player’s club card in the corresponding slot to start earning reward points. Verify the card has been acknowledged.
- The deal/draw button : the deal-draw button is on the keyboard’s right side. Press the button to receive the following hand once each one is dealt. To draw new cards after choosing the cards you want to keep, press the button once again. The computer will add the right amount of credits to your balance if you have a winning hand.
- Depress buttons: The hold buttons are directly beneath the screen. After each new deal, press the corresponding buttons.
2. Choose a Game
Each game on a video poker machine has a house advantage. If you have a good knowledge of paytables, you should choose the game with an advantage that suits your skills and bankroll. Generally, the machines with a larger difference between the best hand and lowest hand are easier to play. There’s no need to hop between tables once you discover a game you like. Stick with the table you are at since if all the tables have the same pay table, the odds will be the same. Move through different games until you locate one with a respectable rate of return if your paytable doesn’t offer a high rate of return.
3. Know How to Play the Basic Game
This is the most important part of winning at video poker. Knowing how to play is what separates players who can finish their games in minutes from those who take hours. When playing video poker, tap on the cards you want to keep or a button on the console before drawing new cards. The amount you win depends on the machine you are playing on or if you have a regular poker hand.
Like traditional poker, you will be dealt five cards in video poker. Your goal with those five cards is to make a strong full house, poker cards royal flush, straight, full house, flush, four of a kind, three of a kind, two pair, jacks or better). You will have the option to do this by exchanging some of your current cards for new ones that could perhaps improve your poker hand.
4. Sign Up for Players Card Club
The Players Card Club is another program that gives you benefits for playing more in one place. You can earn points for collecting free spins and playing certain pay tables. The payout is based on your points and the payout percentage for winning hands.
These are just some of the many strategies you can use to win this type of poker game, and if you practice and perfect these methods, you will see your bankroll grow. Even with the house offering a great pay table, a small edge can still be taken with an effective video poker strategy. It may take some period to adjust if you are playing a new machine or one with cards with different designs or card sounds. In the beginning, you should stick with the game you are most comfortable playing and stick to the strategies you know work. Have fun while playing!